Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 29, 2003, 4:02 PM   #1
Default Using an 'IS' lens

I'm a new Canon owner. I just purchased an EOS 10D with a Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS lens,and a Sigma 17-35 2.8-4 lens. I was previously a Nikon owner and have never used an IS lens. This capabiliity along with the phenomenal reviews on the 10D convinced me to switch to Canon. My question is this:

Is there any way to determine whether the IS is working properly?
It seems to work. If I zoom out to 135 (216 in 35mm equivalent) and focus on a small distant object with IS off, I have trouble keeping the focus point steady. Turning the IS on, the situation is fixed and I can keep the object in steady focus. The difference is there and it works, it is just a lot more subtle than I thought it would be. I guess I expected to feel some sort of gyroscopic effect that made it difficult to move the lens, or something like that. Does this sound normal, or should I look into it further? Thanks. I'm new to Canon and IS and just need others with more experience to assist me with my learning curve questions.
Luther Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2003, 10:38 PM   #2

I own that lens and the 100-400L which also has IS.

On the 28-135, when I listen closely I can hear a noise when IS is on, and it isn't there when it's off. I didn't think it was hard to miss, actually. On the 100-400L, the IS is much quieter, and I have bumped IS off on 2 occasions and I didn't notice for the first 1/2 of shooting. It is that quiet.

It sound to me like IS is working just fine for you. I wouldn't worry.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote