Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 30, 2007, 9:40 PM   #1

My wife and I are heading down to Central Florida. Landing at Fort Meyers and than driving to Polk City-Orlando area.

I have found a lens rental company in the area and plan to rent at least one lens. I have an XTI and the kit lens 18-55, a 50mm 1.8 as well as a Tamron 28-300 macro, no the DI version. I also have a 200-400 tamron these are both AF but not the newer DI versions,

What lenses would you reccommend for primarily wildlife photos and some scenery, landscape shots? Any reccommendations for lens and other equipment to take would be appreciated.

I am fairly new to digital photography and this is my first DSLR. I see wildlife photography as my primary interest in the future (retirement) and look on this as an opportunity to find out what my goal should be for a main lens,a chance to try it out.

Any location tips would be great as well - this is our first time in Central Florida.

Regards & thanks

ejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:47 AM   #2

use ur 18-55 for landscapes...i am guessing u wont need anything wider than 18..

to rent one lens ..i would suggest the 400L prime for wild life..

if u need an IS u can also rent the 100-400 L IS.

Or better if u can rent a 120-300 Sigma.. Fast enuff for most light conditions and light enuff..

get a 1.4x and a 2X tele converter to get the camera even closer..
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:04 AM   #3

ejm wrote:
Any location tips would be great as well - this is our first time in Central Florida.
Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge: http://www.nps.gov/cana/naturescienc...%20Species.pdf

I've been there several times and you can actually walk through the Nature center (with nice landscapes) or drive around the vast trails system... Theses images were all taken there during my last trip:

IMO you don't need to rent any lens at this moment
Try your lenses first and see if they have any limitation, but Florida always has nice sunny weather which is less demanding on a lens!

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote