Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:13 PM   #1

I just bought a 70-300mm is and on inspecting it found that there is a piece of lint on the inside of the front glass. is it going to effect my pictures? and is it worth me sending back to be serviced?

DaveJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:16 PM   #2

Ave, it should not make a difference as it isn't close to the focus spot of the lens. But, if it is huge then it may affect contrast and exposure. I'm assuming it's a tiny speck of lint. If it were on the back element of the lens close to the focus point then it might affect your picture but, still doubtful. Just remember, reflector telescopes have a mirror in the light path which can be as much as 10 or 15 % of the area. Also, catadioptics also have a mirror attached to the middle of the front correcting plate that can somethimes be quite large, The only time it makes a difference is when the object is way out of focus. In your case, it appears that you would never see or notice anything. Edit: oh you should see the front element of some of my lenses!!! Sometimes looks like dust bunnies. Hmm, that reminds me, it might be time to clean them.

djb is offline   Reply With Quote