Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:50 PM   #1

Canon 50mm 2.5 EF Macro or Canon 60mm EF-S Macro or Canon 100mm EF Macro 2.8? Which one should I get?

Just purchased a Canon 30D, I do mostly product shot photography and looking for a macro lens to be used with a lightbox...I have read reviews on all these lenses but I can't decide which on is best for my type of photography...any advice would be appreciated.
Bladepurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:26 PM   #2

As an owner of the 100mm f2.8 marco I am going to suggest it. You do not say exactly what products you are shooting or how close to lifesize you need. The 100 mm is tack sharp, and produces 1:1 images. If you do not need 1:1 then you just back up a little. The two other lenses you mentioned do not produce 1:1 images with out additional equipment.

Sorry, my bad. I forgot the 60mm is a 1:1. It is and EF S lens. I have not used it so I can not give you an evaluation of the lens
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:39 PM   #3

Also, remember the ef-s lenses can't be used on a 1 series or non 1.6x sensor camera. So, if you ever decide to upgrade to a 1 series, the ef-s lens will be useless.

p.s. oh yeah, I'd get the 100 f/2.8 considering these choices. I use a sigma 150 f/2.8 macro. But, my needs are definitely different than yours.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote