Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:28 PM   #1

I am planning to buy a Canon rebel xti camera soon, but I don't know what lense to go for. I am new to SLR and I don't have much knowledge about the lenses. I would like to buy a lense which I can use for both wide angle and telephoto which is not very expensive. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.
aaalissha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:41 AM   #2

Hey Alisha...
You didnt mention your budget so I really dont know what lens to recommend...There are bunches out there that will do what your wanting them to do...wide angle/zoom...
Canon brand and off brands...Lots to look at...I will tell you, I have a Canon 28/200mm
lens that takes nice pictures...Its not the best and isn't the worst...The cost on line is about $300.00....With the 1.6 crop factor on the XTi you will have the equivelent of an
"approx 52/320mm lens"...Might not be as wide on the bottom end as you would want but it could be a place to start... :whack:
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:51 PM   #3

There is always the EFS 18-55mm kit lens if money is tight.

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:09 PM   #4

I am planning to go for canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Autofocus Lens. Is it is good one to start with? Also, is there a lot of difference between this and canon EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6 USM Autofocus Lens ? Thanks.
aaalissha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 1:48 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Honestly it's not a good one to start with.

You would be better off with the 18-55 kit lens.

Here is the MTF chart for the lens you are thinking of:

And compare it to the 18-55 kit:

The kit lens is significantly better.

Don't forget that older 28-105 was itself a kit lens for film cameras of times gone by. Those lenses were not required to have the same resolution that the modern digital lenses need.

There is also the angle-of-view problem. Most people want a moderately wide angle to short telephoto as their main lens. With the 1.6 crop 18-55 gives a 35mm equivalent field of view of 28-90. Which is very close to 28-105 on a 35mm camera. When you mount a 28-100 on a 1.6 crop itgives the equivalent of a 45-160mm lens. Which is not wide enough for most people as a standard zoom.

The lens you are looking at is NOT a wide angle lens on the xti.

My advice would be to get the kit lens as it is excellent value for money, then when you have been using your camera for a few months you will know what lens you should buy next if you feel the need to replace it.

You have probably heard bad stories about the kit lens. So are looking around for a cheap lens that is better. But you are looking in the wrong place. If you are determined to avoid the scorn of the internet pundits (and there is no particular reason to avoid the kit lens otherwise) then look at something from one of the 3rd party manufacturers' digital lensesinstead. Ones that start at the 17 or 18mm mark.

Sigma does some reasonably pricedlenses:

17-70, 18-125, 18-200 all would be a good choice.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 3:29 AM   #6

as peripatetic listed, the sigma 18-125 should work for u. its wide enuff at 18mm and stretches upto 125mm. This translates to 28-200
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote