Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:29 PM   #11

Wow... this is a great little bit of info.. I am a 10D newbie owner as well, but I have been an amateur photographer for years, something that passed of from my dad back when ansco and western meant something. :-)I still have a few manual setting cameras about. Wish I had some of my old point and shoot Kodak Brownie or Harkeye..

Back to lenses... I had two lenses for my ten year old Elan a Canon 50mm f 1.8 and Tamron 71D 28-200 F3.8-5.6 which hadn't been getting much use since I broughtmy firstdigital p&s several years ago. In fact it wasn't to recently with the introduction of Canons 20D did I consider getting a DSLR . Well anyhow now I am a 10D user so begain to check it out. After a few hours with my 10D I was pleased with my decision. Was a bit worried at first as I had never even seen one before but thanks to Steves's DigiCams and this forum I felt like I've owned one for years. It also seemed to besimilar functionality to my Elan whichI always liked.

At first I did think that my new 10Dfocus wasup to par as I couldn't get the Tamron to give me a green "go" dotfor closer or low exposure shots. Well took awhile but I guess all the time I owned this lens I either had forgotten or didn't realize that close focus point was 6.9 ft. Found it to be slower than my Canon 50mm guess that was to be expected. So after doing some searching I came across a used Canon 28-135 IS USM at a dealer who would also take my Tamron 28-200 in trade. Considering the pro and cons I traded up.

Finallyto my question.. :roll: I've got a couple weeks to check the lens over, see how it works, etc. So far other than being heavier that I had wanted it's a nice! Has good balance with 10D which is also heavywhen compared to my Elan. Focus is fast, also good in low light. the macro close focus is down to a foot I would say a big plus for me for an all about lens. The only feature I have yet to check is the IMAGE STABILIZER. When IS turned on it makes a little noise when I press the shutter like a rattle sound? Seems to lock freeze picture as well. So it appears as IS is working as well. There is a slight problem with some subjects getting a auto focus nothing serious.

Is there anything else I should be checking for? Did come with a short warranty period but after that. Seemsas ifthere is quite few for sale here and abouts, should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance.

OverTheHill-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:14 PM   #12

I have the 28/135 IS and use it for horse shows/road course car races.

I really enjoy the lens - You can get very,very good results with this lens.

Yes it will make a little noise as the USM is not the same as on the "L" series glass.

With your IS on - track something that is moving at a steady pace. You should see the viewfinder give a little jump as the IS kicks in. Shoot a few bursts and you will get the feel of the lens at work.

It is a very good piece of gear that performs quite well.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 1:42 PM   #13

I have the 28-135 IS and love it as an all around lens
on my 10D
I use a 70-200 2.8 L IS for sports
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:57 PM   #14

Sooner or later, you'll want to solve the wide-angle problem. For that, I suggest getting a cheapEF-S 18-55 and literally hack-sawing it so that it'll mount on the 10D. $100 anda hacksaw and on-line searches for the lens and instructions on doing so should do it.

The 50 1.8 is a bit less, and a much better lens, but doesn't solve the wide-angle problem.

The 18-55 is surprisingly good for the money, but of course you shouldn't expect the world. The 50 1.8 comes much closer to that standard of performance, and is unmatched in terms of performance for price.

The 17-40 L is a better lens than then 18-55, but doesn't solve the finance problem.

The Tamron 17-35 is also highly rated, and is cheaper than the 17-40 L. It's worth considering if you have the money. Both of these should mount on a 10D without a hacksaw.

Such wide angle zooms also make good all-around lenses on cropped DSLR's. There are far more choices for greater magnifications.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:46 PM   #15

I'm in almost the same boat, my 300D comes in the mail tomorrow with the kit 18-55mm lens.
I plan to stick with that as my wide-angle lens (which I don't make much use of in my usual shooting), and pick up a decent ~$300 walk-around lens.

I'm waffling between:
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5

The Sigma is slightly faster and cheaper, but the Canon has IS and USM.
I'm leaning towards the Canon since it's really only about a half a stop slower and roughly the same price(just got the 300D so I get double rebate on both if I do, making it ~$300).
I've also heard that the sigma has significant barreling at wide angles, which makes the 24/28 comparison kind of moot.

I did find these guys talking about it:
They seem to have come to the same decision I did.

Advice? Opinions?
klocwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:11 PM   #16

To all: The 28-135 has produced some EXCELLENT results for me in the year & a half that I have had it - both with Film & my 300D. I just about stays on my 300D or my EOS-3. I have had 3 - 16 X 20's made by a Pro lab from the 300D/28-135 - all hand-held & with IS 'on'. These were from Large Jpeg, as I do not shoot in RAW. I can only imagine how good they would have looked had I used a tripod & IS! My wish is that Canon would re-design this lens to a 24-135 IS & IF possible, make it faster!
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 8:11 AM   #17

IS plus Tripod = blurry photos apparently.
Do a little googling and you'll find a lot of people saying that. turn off the IS on the tripod.

I'm going to see if I can find a good price on one locally today. If I can, it'll be mine.
klocwerk is offline   Reply With Quote