Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 15, 2007, 12:43 PM   #1

I just ordered a Canon MKIII. I am looking at "L" series lenses for general purpose shooting. A lens you could take to the zoo or shoot landscapes. Since the "L" series are so expensive I can only get one right now and I have to make the best choice.

I would appreciate any feedback on the best lens (I was thinking the 28-105 mm or the 16-35mm) Would either one of these lenses be ok?

Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2007, 12:53 PM   #2

i am guessing its the 24-105

Its a very good walk around lens. On a 5D it does vignette at 24mm, but on my 1D mark II its perfect. Excellent quality all throughout with a little distortion. The distortion is visible in certain very close up images. For landscapes at 24mm its seldom visible and obviously it can be corrected.

The other option is 24-70. there is a whole debate between 24-70 and 24-105. But i find the IS and the F4 more useful for me since i have the 16-35 f2.8 in case i need the f2.8.

The other one is the 28-300 L lens. Not sure about this lens though. But u will miss the wideangle which u cna compensate by getting the 17-40L or the sigma 12-24.

For one lens my personal recommendation is 24-105. Excellent lens.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote