Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 17, 2007, 8:09 AM   #1

After much deliberation, I've now become very tempted by a Canon Eos 400D as they're currently available with the kit lens at £399

My main interests are landscape photography (though I'm not after anything too wide angle - I got some lovely pics last month with an old Olympus OM10 and a 35mm prime lens).

I also want to shoot a few action shots - pics of dogs doing agility - so I need a fast lens but nothing too telephoto as I'll be ringside - so no more than 10m away.

As the camera is more than I'd budgeted for an S5is/G7 I don't want to spend a huge amount on lenses - but I appreciate that it's the lens that makes the pic - so I don't want to waste cash on kit that's inferior.

What would you recommend for a couple of starter lenses - with a nice quality/price balance?

Also, can anyone explain how to convert analogue lens sizes to digital - and are the lens sizes given already converted to 35mm equivalent?

Many thanks in advance....

Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2007, 6:33 PM   #2

For your camera body, multiply the stated focal length by 1.6 for your 35mm equivalent. Unlike point-and -shoots, the focal lengths you see on interchangable lenses are actual, not pre-converted. The kit lens is a respectable starting point unless you want to spend for image stabilization, in which case you should consider buying the camera body with the 17-85mm IS lens.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote