Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 20, 2007, 9:29 PM   #1

Can soemone tell if they ever used this lens and what do you think of it?:?:
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2007, 8:36 PM   #2

Sorry, I have not shot this lens. Here is a review that seems pretty positive.

I own the 17-50mm f2.8 and love it. Shot it against the 17-40 f4L of Canon's and like the Tamron better overall. With that said, I will say that the focus motor is a bit noiser than the Canon and I prefer internal focusing, however the front of the Tamron does not rotate so that is a plus over other non internal focusing lenses.

The best advise I can give on this one is if you have a good photography shop where you live, go check out the lens yourself. A good shop should let you put the lens on your body and shoot with it at different apetures. Go home and compare the results and see if you like it. That is how I ended up with my Tamron. Good luck.
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 11:27 AM   #3

i've used this lens for the past year or so, and find it excellent. it's gotten me at least one seriously good "money shot", and countless sharp, very well exposed close-ups. it is a bit noisier than the Canon lenses with USM, if noise is an issue, but for scenics and close-ups i use it for, i couldn't care less. it will focus at 10" at full zoom, which makes it useful for close-up work, and the 24-135zoom covers a wide range of situations, which makes it a great all-around lens. according to the reviews, it's a teeny bit soft at the corners,but on a 1.6x body like my 30D, which only uses the middle of the lens, it's plenty sharp all the way to the edges. and on top of all that, it can be had for a LOT less $$ thanany Canon "L" lens.i got mine through Norman Camera (www.normancamera.com), and can vouch for their prompt shipping and excellent customer service. it's listed on their website for $369.95, andcomes with free ground shipping plus a $100 rebate offer good till 8/31, so you could getit forwell under $300...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"here's a shot i took with this lens... i've sold a number of 20x30 prints of this shot, and have one that size on my living room wall. the Tamron certainly performed on this one... :G

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 5:23 AM   #4

Thank for posting the sample photo which I find very impressive. I too am considering the Tamron 24-135mm as a good alternative for my Canon XT.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote