Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 12, 2007, 7:35 AM   #1

Having decided on the camera (Canon XTi / 400D) and lens I want get forcanine action / bird photography (70-200 f4L) I'm trying to zero in on an all-around lens to get me started and familiar with the camera and DSLR photography.

I would also use it for travel; so I'm looking to achieve better results than I'd get with my Canon G5 or a Sony H9 which is what I'd initially thought of buying.

While looking for the recommened 18-200, I've been shown the Sigma / Tamron AF18-250mm F/3.5 - 6.3 which is the one I believe mtclimber has just acquired.

...which I understand is the same one TCav mentioned in another thread?
The kind of lens you describe is referred to as a "super zoom". As you can understand, a super zoom is a lens that tries to do a lot of things, and since it is a compromise, it doesn't necessarily do all of them well. But there is one that seems to have been the best effort thusfar. It is the Tamron AF18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF).
So, any feedback is really welcome, either on this lens or suggested alternatives. I have a flexible and happy budget and I'm keen to buy ASAP as I've a trip next week and would love to take my new camera with me! : - )
St Iletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links