Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 17, 2007, 6:00 PM   #1

I`m thinking of buying a Canon E400 (Rebel Xti) and i was wondering what would be best between a CANON 17-85mm IS or a TAMRON 17-50mm f/2.8 ?

The price isn`t an issue , the Canon lens would only cost me an extra 100 euro.

I know that both lenses seem to have an average build quality but which will produce the best pictures ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2007, 6:37 PM   #2

I hate to say "it depends", but what you're shooting makes the difference.

A 2.8 lens sounds like a better choice for low light or moving subjects. The extra reach is a benefit with the EF-S 17-85 as is the image stabilization. It's an EF-S lens so if/when you upgrade to a full frame camera, it won't work.

Another thing to think about is what other lens(es) will you consider later. You'll probably want a moderate telephoto and don't want to leave too big a "hole" in your range.

I have the Canon and it's on my 20D all the time... a great lens. My telephoto is the wonderful 70-200 f/4L. I'm very happy with both.

I probably ended up confusing the issue for you. Guess you'll want to consider how you plan using the lens, whether you'll consider upgrading your camera in a few years and what other lenses you'll want.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote