Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 3, 2007, 5:02 PM   #1

thinking of getting anXTI (a few other choices too) but I need to try and figure out my best route on lenses.

Not pro here, not even amateur... complete newbie here as in it's been 20 years since I've used a non point and shoot camera

I need:

the usual family vacation stuff - need to start here

landscapes - will have some great opportunities when I'm on vacation in 2 weeks

Indoor basketball, outdoor soccer, football, baseball - can wait until later to buy a lens(es) but I definitely will need an option(s)

I can't do it all at once I know, a $1500 budget including the body... so where do I start?
chepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2007, 4:25 AM   #2
Super Moderator

It won't matter what body you end up with as lens options are going to be similar.

I would start with just getting your walk around lens (an everyday lens that will cover holiday, landscape, family etc). You want to look in the region of 17mm wide and 70mm long as this is going to give similar results to a 28-105 lens in 35mm which was a good standard for general work.

There are options from different manufacturers here is a list to look atand if you go to http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.htmlyou will find reviews on them.

Canon 17-85mm USM IS

Canon 17-55mm f2.8 USM IS (this will blow your budget)

Sigma 17-70mm DC

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

You can also go for more extreme zoom ranges and the new Tamron 18-250 is getting pretty good reviews.

When it comes to sports you are going to need to put a lot of money in.

Outdoors for the field sports you are going to want 300mm+ and f4 or brighter so options are

Canon/Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 with 1.4x teleconverter

Sigma 100-300mm f4 (lovely lens and really sharp)

Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 used by a lot of us here who shoot field sports

Canon 300mm f2.8 or f4

For indoor sports again you will want different lenses and basically you are looking at prime rather than zooms as they need to be brighter to get more light into the camera.

Canon 50mm f1.8 (good for basketball when under the net)

Canon 85mm f1.8 (basketball from one of the corners)

Canon 100mm f2

Canon 135mm f2

The latter 2 allow shots from slightly further out or tighter cropping.

This is not a definitive list but it should give you food for thought. I would not worry about the latter options until you have got used to the camera etc and had a really good play with the walk around lens.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote