Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:26 PM   #1

At what shutter speed does IS no longer play a role in shooting, just curious.
ST77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:35 PM   #2

It depends on the lens... and your steadiness
-> The rule of thumb is 1 over the focal lenght (some might factor in the crop factor too)

For a 17-70 zoom for example (1/17s at the wide and 1/70s at the tele) - the following shutter speeds would probably make IS redundant:
o 1/30s is adequate for the wide without camera shake
o and 1/100s is OK for the tele end
... this can vary depending on the ability of the photographer, and of-course with theses kind speeds (just like IS) one does not expect to stop any actions either!

Once you selected a speed which can stop motion @ 1/400s or above then probably no IS are required at all for theses shorter zooms.
-> This is why IS is probably more useful at the longer telephoto like the 500mm or 600mm because the shutter speeds are up there already - But then again with theses telephotos they are already so heavy that a tripod is probably required anyway so again I wonder if IS is still useful here...

I shoot with my 500mm handheld with the IS most of the time (if not all the time) switched OFF because of the actions:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote