Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:28 PM   #1

I'm thinking about getting a 30D. Still new to the current camera buying world. Used to shoot an AT-1.

I'm confused about what the EF, EF-S, L on the lenses are about.

What is image difference factor re: image processors? Do I get more zoom than I used to with the old manual camera ?

Should I get a body only (not kit w/18-55) and opt for another with a wider variety range ? 17-55mm f2.8 EFS, 17-85mm f4-5.6 EFS, 24-105 f/4L, maybe 28-135mm f3.5-5.6, etc. The IS feature sounds great (a little less steady than I used to be). I am realistically expecting to need to purchase at least two lenses.

My aim is to shoot more indoor, kids and senior activities within close to 16ft... I know apeture is a consideration. BUT would like to have that "walk around" versatility. ...though i guess i used to "walk around" with my old 50mm lens... i suppose this is my effort to move into current technology. And maybe in the future, a greater zoom for those outdoor/scenery/vacation stuff.

Don't want to go crazy on the $$$, but want to get something worth getting. Two choices of lens would be ideal. Quality/flexibility first, affordability can be determined later.

Comments appreciated.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:12 AM   #2

As far as the different designations of the lenses, from the 3 items you are requesting information about, are generally seen on Canon lenses. The EF and EF-S are different types of mounts for the camera bodies, and generally any EOS SLR or dSLR will support the EF mount lenses. The EF-S deals with dSLRs only, as you have to have a camera with a smaller image sensor, or a larger crop factor (1.6x) as seen on the Digital Rebel series, and currently the 20d and 30d bodies.

The L series lenses are Canon's "Luxury" line of lenses as some would reffer to it as, considering they are generally the best in optics, build quality and performance. With extra quality of the L lenses, you will also find an ever increasing pricetag, depending on the lens itself.

Now with the EF-S series camera bodies, that also support EF lenses as well, they have the smaller sensor, which means that yes, you get more zoom when comparing to a 35mm or full frame camera. So if you are looking at the 30D, and had say the Canon 70-200mm lens, you would effectively have a 112-320mm lens in comparison to the full frame.

If your going to be shooting alot of indoor activities, you may want to consider also a bounce flash, such as the 430ex or 580ex to help with some lighting. Otherwise you would be looking into some f/2.8 or faster lenses to avoid motion blur and or camera shake. The 24-105 f/4L IS is not a bad choice at all, but you may be suffering on the wide angle end. So something like the 17-40 f/4L may be a bit better choice. But I think when it comes to various wide angle lenses, some of the other members would be of more assistance :G
Buhammot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:47 PM   #3

thanks for your comments... it was really easy to understand... on paper, i really wanted the 30d... but when i finally put it in my hand i could barely get a good grip - IT'S SO BIG ! I' like the wheel and minimal number of buttons where my thumb would, go but I don't think the 30d is a good fit for me. I think I;m going to have to go for the Nikon d80. Boy, this transition from a manual (non-auto-focus models) SLRs to DSLR is a bit intimidating... all of these computerized features and all. ANY comments ??? Thanks for your input on the lens model info. CHEERS !
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:12 PM   #4

You say the 30D was a bit big feeling in your hands.... Have you looked at the Rebel XT or XTi?
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:53 PM   #5

i did, but i was told that the Nikon 80d would be more like my old manual AT-1, than the feel and options of the rebels. i'm still undecided, i'd be saving more $$$ if i went w/the xti or xt.