Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 18, 2007, 4:35 PM   #1

I have a Sigma Zoom AF-1 75-300 4.5-5.6 lens that I bought for a Canon EOS 650 (film) about 8 years ago. The camera in question experienced a devastating fall on an ancestor's grave in Ireland (don't ask) and the lens on it at the time (NOT the Sigma) took the brunt of the impact and was destroyed. The Sigma lens was safely tucked away elsewhere and was not involved in the accident.

I've moved on to another brand digital SLR and the Sigma lens is not compatible. I'd like to sell it or donate it or somesuch. It's hardly been used, and has been kept carefully stored for these past years.

Is this Sigma lens compatible with today's digital EOS/Rebels? Which models? Is there anything else should I know before offering it to others?

All thoughts appreciated.

ejbSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2007, 5:16 PM   #2

If it worked on a Canon EOS film model, it should mount on any current Canon EOS model, film or digital.

But, from time to time, you see some compatiblity quirks with Sigma lenses impacting Autofocus with newer bodies. Apparently, they reverse engineer the protocol between the camera and lenses, and sometimes they miss features incorporated in newer bodies.

So, it's best to try it on a newer DSLR to make sure it works OK. For example, I've seen listings for some of the Sigma 70-300mm lenses at vendors like keh.com with notes "film only" (probably due to compatibility problems). Here's an example like that:

Sigma 70-300mm listed as film only at keh.com

Sigma can sometimes rechip an older lens when that happens. But, they generally only rechip their higher end lenses (and sometimes, they can't rechip them).

Chances are, it would work. But, I wouldn't guarantee that without testing it on a newer Canon DSLR.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote