Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 25, 2007, 3:25 PM   #11

The "circles" in the background are definitely indicative of a mirror lens. They "mirror" the donut shape of the glass on the lens where the mirror is the center of the donut.

At 500 mm depth of field is, admittedly, pretty limited. To help you get a better idea of what the lens can and can't do, I'll provide links to a couple more pics below.

In Soccer Joy, you can see the difference between the player who is closes to the lens (and in focus) versus his teamate just a few feet away. Keep in mind that I was more than asoccer field away from this scene when I snapped it - just playing around to see what I could get. The smiles are captured:

In Alix on a Ride at Seaworld you'll see my daughter ant a bit of the safety bars and seat from the ride she was on. These are within a short distance of each other and come out relatively clear. Interestingly, I snapped this without a tripod and it was from 100 to 200 feet away with Alix at the top of a tall ride. Not too bad for 75 bucks plus shipping.

photosbyerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 2:32 PM   #12

They have both mirror and standard refractor 500mm f/8 lenses. Also a 650-1300mm f/8-16.:-) http://www.opteka.com/index.asp?Page...amp;Category=6

Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 2:17 AM   #13

I have this lens (Opteka 500mm) and it's quite nice for the price.
With good tripod and maybe some lens support system, it can produce nice results, otherwise achievable with much more expensive optics.

Here is an example:
gwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:45 PM   #14

I have one for my Nikon. It is a toy and I experiment with it. It requires lots of light. I have gotten some fairly sharp images od the city from my terrace on a very bright day. For serious shooting,this is not you lens
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote