Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:10 PM   #11

All lens are desig/price/weight/feature compromises. The reduced image size of the APC non full frame senor allows for better lenses for less money and weight. That is not to say that a full frame or larger sensor cameras do not have their own advantages with high quality lenses (even more range and image quality). Of course its good to know what you want to shoot?

**The Tamron is just about the best value, about $420, for a Non Full Frame Camera if your looking for a fast 17-50 lens.

**The Canon 17-40L is one of the better Full frame zooms if your looking for 17-40mm.

Heck if your not in tight spots and are willing to frame with your feet, a 50mm 1.8 Prime is great for under $100 for eihter type of senor, but you will often find your self unable to get far enough away from some subject matter, especially with a apc sensor.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:22 PM   #12

Thank you. I actually already own a 50mm 1.4 and I LOVE it! It's a perfect dusk lit lens or indoor/natural light portraits. I also have an 80-200 that I use for sports photos. The lens I'm looking to replace is a 35-80 which does not have good quality (crispness) nor does it go wide enough for what I want, nor does it get a wide enough aperture (maxes out around 4.0).
This is the lens I want for the purpose of general travel shots - wide angle streets, architecture, landscapes or large groups of people. I'm just an amateur shooting for my personal use, but I've gotten rather picky about my photo quality.

It sounds like the Tamron will work really well for me based on the information here and other research I've done. Thank you all for your suggestions and information!

This site has been a great find!
scrapally is offline   Reply With Quote