Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 22, 2003, 7:42 PM   #1
Default New Digital Rebel Digital Zoom Lens

Anybody found a price point on the "second" lens for the subject camera? Canon tells us that most users will only need two lenses, the 17-55mm and the 55-200mm ( I think that's the numbers).
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2003, 5:11 PM   #2

Bit late response, but in time before you go 300D shopping ;-)

Yes you could do it the Canon way and find yourself;
- Swapping lenses at the wrong moment = Just as frustrating as shutterlag and more risk of getting dust in the system
- As the Canon propagated lenses are entry level, they might miss a bit of true jazz at dull light moments. This might also lead to lense craving or frustration, hunting for better and ommiting lenses you should have bought in first instance.
- Always carrying 2 lenses or being in dubio wich lense you should pack. (With the 2 lenses suggested by Canon, it seems difficult to leave the house with just 1 of them)

Another way is invest a bit more in a better quality allround lense (I like the 28-135 USM with macro range) and maybe add an exotic lense later.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 10:24 PM   #3

I would at least recommend getting lenses which have slight overlap. With the two you listed (or I should say, Canon s****ted) you are have no choice but to switch lenses when you go from 45mm to 55mm. That just seems really dumb to me.

Of course many would say that should can always just "zoom with your feet" and move closer/further to make up for it. Not always practical, but they have a point.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:15 PM   #4

I'm with Eric, zoom lenses that overlap are really nice to have. Also, I've noticed that the 28-135 IS is hard to beat. The range hits a sweet spot. I take 80% or so of my pictures with it. Many people have commented on this in the past. Also, the price is decent, and the quality is good.

barthold is offline   Reply With Quote