Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 6, 2003, 12:27 PM   #11
Default Ummmmmm

Maybe I don't understand the question (or I'm just dumb...a distinct possibility). Both of these shots were taken witn a Canon 50mm/f1.8 on a D30. The first image was from less than 2 feet away.

Old Oct 6, 2003, 1:40 PM   #12

Kalypso, thanks, a picture speaks a thousand words! I love your stuff! I would like the 85 probably because I would be more comfortable further from the model. Thanks again!!!!!! :lol:
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 1:56 PM   #13
Default Re: 50mm for portrait?

Originally Posted by hodad66
With the 1.6x factor a 50 becomes an 80. Does that make a 1.4 50 a decent portrait lens? I always preferred a 90 or more for face shots in 35mm. Does the multiplier effect the f stop also or would it be an 80mm 1.4? Thanks
sure...you can create some interesting portrait pictures in low light condition , simply just attached one of the soft focus filter on the lens, since the filter size is about 52- 55mm, the cost is considered inexpensive, but you have yourself a superfast medium portrait lens, since its maximum aperture is F/1.4, opens the lens wide open will give you excellent results in portrait photography.

Using post processing with PS 7.0 as described as above will get similar results too, but for portrait picture, I prefer to do it the optical way. Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 3:57 PM   #14
Default If I had used the 85

With an 85mm, in my first shot above, I never could have gotten that image. We were in a very small outdoor pool restroom & I was up against the other wall as it was.

I'm not sure what a 85mm/f1.8 costs but I would think it is a lot more than the $90.00(US) or so that a 50mm/f1.8 runs. I love mine...nothing like a $90.00 portrait lens!
Old Oct 6, 2003, 5:13 PM   #15

The old standby on a filter, for soft focus.
(not KY!)
divco-honda is offline   Reply With Quote