Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:12 PM   #1
Default Compare lenses, spot the difference (with example)

Years ago I bought an EOS 1000 35mm camera second hand it came with a Canon lense 38-76 EF. I bought other lenses but somehow image quality was below expectation.

Now with a 10D with 28-135 IS USM lense I noticed images are much sharper and crips. For sake of fun and knowledge I made a comparisson with the other EOS lenses;
- Canon 38-76mm EF lense (that came for free with the EOS 1000 film camera I bought years ago second hand)
- Canon 50 mm f1.8 lense (also secondhand)
- Canon 28-138mm IS USM f3.5-5.6 (new)

Why I would seriously discourage to repeat this test with new lenses, is I spotted a soft corner in my 28-135 lense :-(
However overall performance delivers impressive quality at some areas better than the fixed 50mm focallenght. Photos taken with 28-135 are also slightly more saturated than with the other lenses. (see also crop http://www.desk.nl/mupe/photos/test/lenstest_kleur.jpg)

The 38-76mm lense is typical a showcase to think twice before buying cheap zoom optics for expensive photo equipment (hint to EOS 300D buyers ;-)

This is the scene, photos are taken short after each other and camera was on tripod about roughly 1.50m from the scene

And here are 100% crops of unmodified photos

Maybe the 38-76 lense (stupid typo in picture) has difficulty with AF on a 10D, but at f4.5 this should not lead to such romantic blur .Anyhow the focus squares were on in the horizontal middle.

I also noticed that 50mm from one lense differs with other lenses. Not that it would it would ruin the picture, it was just a notice.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links