Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:36 AM   #1

Hi I am very new at this, never been on a forum before and am a complete ignoramus about all the technical stuff - I just love taking photos.

I have got a EOS 350D with an 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens. I want to be able to get real close up pics of flowers(so that I can see the pollen grains on the stamens!) insects and things like raindrops and grasses.

I have been reading some of the posts about macro lenses and see that the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 is the best lens to get - would it suit my needs ?

I would appreciate anyones advice.
africanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2008, 4:02 PM   #2

For flowers, raindrops and other static subjects i would recommend the canon 100mm USM macro lens over the sigma 150mm. If u are really particular abt insects, the sigma 150mm makes a better choice.

The sigma 150 is a bit heavier than the 100mm macro and the focussing speed is not as fast as the 100mm macro. But its a dedicated macro and not sure why the AF speed should bother. on the 350 d the sigma will translate to a 240mm macro lens while the 100mm translates to the 160mm lens.

the 100mm is a great portrait lens and thats where the AF-Speed comes into picture. Its really faster than the 150mm

another lens for static subjects is the tamron macro lens. A superb lens, very ligth and compact and works really well. Comes with a built in hood and that almost blocks any extra lights.

Following are with the tamron

Following are with the sigma 150mm

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 9:57 AM   #3

Thank you very much for responding. I appreciate your advice. Great pics
africanchild is offline   Reply With Quote