Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 9, 2008, 2:50 PM   #1

I was surprised not to see any discussion of Tamron or Sigma image stabilised lenses. I am considering the Sigma 18-200 or the Tamron 28-300 image stabalized lenses. I have these focal lengths covered with traditional lenses but If the VC (Tamron) or OS (Sigma) work well the extra few stops would certainly come in handy.

Both my Canon 30D and 40D are completely satisfactory for me, but with long zooms the extra stops would come in handy most of the time it seems.

Wondring if anyone had had extensive experinece with either of these lenses. I think the Tamron will be my first choice if it is well recommended.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Al Amstutz

Al Amstutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:59 PM   #2

can't speak to the Tamron IS lenses, neither my 17-35 nor my 24-135 are stabilized. i do have a Sigma EX 80-400 OS lens, and i can say the stabilizer in that lens works very well. i have shot photos handheld at speeds down to 1/160 at 400mm with good results, though 1/250 is a more reasonable lower limit. but at 640mm equivalent, 1/250 is way below the minimum shutter speed recommended by the "reciprocal of focal length" rule...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote