Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Have any of you ever wondered the sort of results you can get at f5.6 (wide open) and 600mm with this combo??? Well I had so decided today to give it a quick bash after shooting all the hockey matches I was down to cover.

The below link takes you straight to the full, unsharpened shot straight from the camera (1D mkIII) all I have done is rotated so it is not on it's side and saved.

There is quite a lot of chromic abboration and this subject really shows that, but once stopped down a little it works quite well. The AF was not allowing me to really use it for sport but it has made me think the Sigma 300-800m f5.6 or Canon 500mm f4 would be great to own as the range I could shoot atwas amazing.

Here is the link (3.5mb in size).

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:02 PM   #2

Yeap - This is one of my favorite lens too
I didn't pick one up for my new D300 but I'm saving it for the next Oly... (imagine a 600mm f/2.8 without any TC!!!)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:25 PM   #3

Looked pretty good to say the least.:G
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:19 AM   #4

great shot, and is that just street hockey?
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:33 AM   #5

I didn't pick one up for my new D300 but I'm saving it for the next Oly... (imagine a 600mm f/2.8 without any TC!!!)

I am not sure if the sigma 120-300 comes in the olym mount. Bad they never thought about olym
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:53 PM   #6

Hi Mark

I missed this photo a month or so ago. Interesting possibilities with that lens, the 2.0x teleconverter on your Canon EOS-1D Mark III. Going with a Canon 1.6 crop sensor DSLR would give you even more reach, and should still be able to AF at f5.6, however probably not the quickest (for sport).

There is indeed quite a lot of chromatic abberration in the photo, quite noticeable. And not the absolute sharpest (ok, I realise it is an unsharpened original image). Actually the quality of this photo looks like some of my Canon 100-300mm f4.5 - 5.6 USM photos at f8. Noticeable CA and fairly soft. But with some post processing / software manipulation, I can often pull decent photos from it.

I'm sure you'll be able to do the same... especially if not pixel peeping. And of course your range is a lot longer with that 2.0x teleconverter.

Finally.. about the actual subject. I must admit seeing the photo makes me think: "Is this a photo of an alien, an astronaunt or an athelete?" Then I saw the hockey stick. Aha...

Just my humble opinion, but I hate so much "gear" on. Of course sports people need protection. Just I prefer the sports where people are mostly flesh and blood, and can survive a match without kevlar armour! Maybe that's why I (and many Aussies) don't like grid-iron with so much padding, helmets, iron, etc, we prefer our "Aussie rules". Aussie rules (contrary to most people's knowledge) is NOT a violent or high contact sport. Ocassionally (as in soccer) there are rough tackles (often resulting in a penalty to the rough offender!).. but mostly it's a flowing high energy sport with lots of running, passing, kicking, etc.

Anyway, that was my 2 cents worth...

Thanks for sharing

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:43 AM   #7

Hey nice shot,,,, I don't see the chromatic abberation, could you point it out??? thanks pat
HeidiandHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 12:33 AM   #8

Pat, check out the tape on the guy's stick.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote