Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:35 PM   #1
Default Need suggestion(s) on lens for Digital Rebel

This is my situation, I'll be using the camera for soccer, freshman football, etcIm trying to decide on which lens to getI was going to get the first 3, but someone highly recommended changing the 75-300 for the 70-200I know the 70-200mm f/4L lens is a very good lens, but if I get the 70-200mm f/4L should I change any of the first 3?Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Canon 50mm f/1.8
Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Canon 70-200mm 70-200 f/4L

Thanks in advance!

See ya...Jerry
JerryL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:07 AM   #2

The 50 f1.8 is a nice lens. Its plastic and doesn't have the easiest focusing ring. But its cheap, sharp, small and light. I have it and like it.

The 28-135 is good but not great. Depends on what you will use it for. Some argue that a Sigma or Tamron that is f2.8 at all times is better. You'll loose IS (and USM... maybe it has their version of USM, though. I don't recall.) There is something to be said for that argument. I find that it can produce sharp-enough results and its size is reasonable (for me.) The focal length is very handy (at least for what I do.)

Search around here for info about the 75-300. some version of that lens are really rather bad. Others are decent for the money. A quick look at:
shows that people seem to dislike all the IS versions of this lens, but the non-IS is better. Of course loosing IS is not a good thing if you will do mostly hand-held stuff.

A quick look at some other review sites seem to show that this lens has been revamped several times and has improved. Another site for lens info :
has mixed things to say. Some say its soft and slow focusing. Others like its sharpness (of course, sharpness is subjective!)

It sounds like you will be really far awawy from you subjects when shooting soccer and football. Although the 70-200 is a very good lens, I doubt it will have enough reach to work for you. It might work with a teleconverter.... I don't know.

Even if you are closer and shooting from the sidelines, it still might not be long enough.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 4:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply!...I'll check Fred's site and try to find other reviews as well.

See ya...Jerry
JerryL2 is offline   Reply With Quote