Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:40 AM   #1

i recently purchased a tamron autofocus 75-300 lens for my son. He has a canonxti and also a canon rebel 35mm film camera. From what i understand this lens can be used on both cameras, is this true?
disnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2008, 2:30 PM   #2

Yes, as long as it's a Canon EF Mount lens that works on a film Rebel..

AFAIK, Tamron has never made a "digital only" 75-300mm or 70-300mm lens. So, as long as it's designed for Canon Autofocus SLR models, it can be used on both 35mm film and digital cameras with smaller APS-C sensors.

So, your son could use it on his XTi and film Rebel.

Within the Tamron brand, only their Di II lenses are designed to work exclusively with models that have smaller APS-C sensors. Here's a list of those:

Their other autofocus SLR lenses in Canon EF mount can be used with film or digital cameras, including their latest Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro

You probably bought this Tamron 75-300mm

It's not the lastest Di version of Tamron's current offering in this general focal range (see the link to a Tamron 70-300mm for that one). But, like the latest Tamron 70-300mm, the 75-300mm works on either camera type (Canon autofocus models with 35mm size film or sensors, or models with smaller APS-C size sensors like the Rebel XTi).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote