Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 21, 2003, 8:39 AM   #1
Default Acceptable results from Canon 17-40mm?

Hello, I am an art teacher at a school in England. Our headmaster recently authorized us to use some of the school funds to buy a Canon EOS-10D and two lenses. I have just bought the camera yesterday, and I am testing it out now.

I would appreciate some help on these two images, as I have only used an Olympus 5050 before.

This <a href="http://members.aol.com/Abjknight/focus-blur.jpg">picture</a> below - am I right in thinking this is blurred rather than out of focus? It was taken at 1:4 in quite low light.

Is this next <a href="http://members.aol.com/Abjknight/acceptable.jpg">picture</a> acceptable as a straight out of the camera picture from a 10D and 17-40mm lens? (ISO 100, f5.6, 1/90s. Parameters = contrast 1, sharpness 2, saturation 0, color tone 0). Does it just need sharpening?

Many thanks in advance,

JHKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2003, 9:42 AM   #2

You are correct, the first picture is blury. Mostion blur, I would say.

I loaded the second into photoshop and played with it a bit. It sharpened up ok. I would say it isn't the most sharp picture on the planet. Was the picture taken on a tripod?

I noticed that you added sharpness and contrast in camera. I would suggest against doing that. Your computer is much more powerful than the camera. It can use more advanced algorithms to sharpen and improve contrast. I would leave them at 0 and do the work in photoshop elements (which comes with the camera in the US, I assume it does in the UK too.)

The other side of this is that if you default the camera to add sharpening, what if the picture doesn't benefit from sharpness? What if you are taking a picture of a person? Most people don't want very sharp pictures of themselves, they prefer softer pictures which hide blemishes and such. If you set the camera to always sharpen, then you can't take the sharpening out. If you don't add any in camera, then you can always add it as necessary.

This is why the higher end (almost professional) cameras seem to produce soft images. The assumption is that the photographer will manipulate the picture on a computer to get exactly what they want. The lower end consumer cameras assume the user wants a more point-and-shot camera, so they usually produce a more contrasty, sharper, saturated picture. Got for most things, but not the right answer when you shoot a wider variety of subjects.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2003, 12:13 AM   #3

Here are links to two unedited pictures using the 17-40 lens, and the 10D.

1/90s should be plenty fast enough to be able to get a sharp image, even at full 40mm zoom. Unless you had way too much coffee before taking the picture :-) I use the CSpro 10D sharpening plugin for PS and PSE. It is a great tool to quickly, and at a very high quality, add sharpening to your images.

barthold is offline   Reply With Quote