Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:40 PM   #1

hi i am a newbie and looking at buying a canon eos400D which comes with the EFS 18-55mm and canon EF75-300mm lens kits. I am looking at photography as a serious hobby... will be doing a short course soon to learn more about this. Just wondering what you guys think of these lenses? or would you recommend something else?

I will be doing all sorts of photography, including portrait, scenery, street, day & night. How-ever i am being told i will need a 35mm for my course.

Advice would be greatly appreciated on what i should get. .
alli_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:49 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Unless you're getting a very good deal on the kit I would avoid those lenses if you can.

They are not the worst lenses you can get, but they are pretty poor.

If you are on a budget consider instead:

Canon EF-S 18-55 IS + Sigma 70-300 APO as a combo.

For not much more money you could get the new EF-S 18-55 IS lens. This looks very similar to the EF-S 18-55 (non-IS) but the new model is optically MUCH better as well as having the image stabilizer.

The Sigma 70-300 APO is a much better lens than the Canon 75-300.

If you have a bit more to spend then consider the Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS and the Canon EF 70-300 IS.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 2:14 AM   #3

thank you for your advice. very helpful still have to do some research..... there is SO much i didnt know about cameras !
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:27 AM   #4

If you are looking for a decent lens the Canon 70-300 IS is a nice lens.

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:03 AM   #5

I'll go a step further and recommend you not even BUY a telephoto lens right off the bat. Just buy one lens. As Peripatetic pointed out, the 75-300 is really a poor lens.

And while the Canon 70-300 cyberf828 is a very nice lens it's also expensive and more importantly you don't yet know if it's the right lens for YOU.

I would recommend just buying a single lens: the new 18-55 IS is a great choice. It isn't very expensive and it is a better lens than the standard kit lens. Use that lens for a while and save the $$ you would have spent on the telephoto. Let your interests dictate what lens to buy next. You may find that you dont really need a 70-300 style lens at all and your money could be better allocated toward another lens. Or maybe not. But it's often a bad idea to buy multiple lenses right out of the gate. Very often one of them either doesn't get used or the photographer discovers neither lens fits a specific need they have because they just bought lenses so they could 'cover a large focal range'

Just my opinion.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:47 AM   #6

thanks guys. i did end up buyin the canon 400d with the twins lens kit as it is all i can afford right now to get started.. once i gain a bit more knowledge ill def be investing in a better lens. but for now im just gonna start off with these.

thanks for your advice though.. im sure ill be needing as much help as i can get in the coming months.