Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:13 AM   #1

Hello - I was hoping someone could give me some wisdom...

I was thinking about getting a fisheye lens for my boyfriend for his 21st - I don't know much about cameras at all really, so I'm not sure if what I've found on ebay

would be any good as it seems really cheap compared to Canon's own fisheye - seems more like a fisheye converter than an actual lens? Can anyone explain it to me?

He has a Canon digital rebel xt / 350-D - there seem to be some satisfied customers using the lens here - http://canonites.com/index.php?optio...&Itemid=48

I'm so confused but if seems like the perfect present if it actually works! Any help would be massively appreciated!

Thanks a million xxx
catcatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:41 AM   #2

It's just an add-on type adapter, not a lens that mounts directly to the camera.

Depending on the lens your boyfriend has, it may not mount properly either (it's probably using the existing filter threads via adapters to mount) and/or you may have problems like vignetting (darkening of corners).

You would also risk damaging some lenses using this type of system, depending on whether or not the front of the existing lens rotates when focusing. That's because the focus motors and gearing in camera lenses used by a DSLR were not designed for this additional weight (other than the weight of standard lens filters).

I would not expect this type of adapter to provide anything but poor quality images. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:12 PM   #3

Thanks very much JimC. You've confirmed my suspicions -I didn't hold out much hope for it producing amazing shots, but seeing as its only probablygoing to be used occasionally, for a few fun pictures - and unfortunatlyI can't afford a proper fisheye lens (student!) -I'm not going to rule it out just yet. Bit worried about damaging the existing lens though so i'll find out what he has. I think just the kit lens that came with it (52mm) and a 58mm one..? Thanks again x
catcatcat is offline   Reply With Quote