Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 1, 2008, 12:56 PM   #1

Anyone here give the new Tamron 28-300 with VC a workout yet? Looking to get a bit farther out than my current 28-200mm allows and wouldn't be averse to spending the $$ for the VC (or IS) if it proves to be a quality lens. The Canon 70-300 USM IS seems a great choice at 30 bucks less than the Tamron 28-300 but it does give up quite a bit at the low end of the range.

Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2008, 9:52 AM   #2

I cant say anything about the Tamrom lens but I really enjoy my Canon 70-300 USM IS, takes some really nice photos.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 9:57 AM   #3

First off - no I haven't tried it. But I guess it all depends on what your definition of a "quality lens" is. Without exception, the more focal range a given lens covers the more compromises the developer makes. Part of it is engineering challenges, but a large part is economics.

Superzoom lenses like that will almost never perform as well as quality lenses with a shorter zoom. Typically where you will see the most issues is at the extremes - at the long end and at the wide end.

I'm not saying don't get a superzoom (since you already have one) - I'm mearly suggesting 'quality' and 'superzoom' don't go hand in hand.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 11:03 AM   #4

I agree with JohnG. I believe the development of this particular lens are for those who want a one lens does all. A walk around lens if you will. Even with the crop factor in cameras people still want more reach.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"This lens would be good for trips and shots that are not super critical in needs of making then best shots count. Primes are still the way to go as well as fast glass but that is where economics come into play.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The first batch were recalled right away so its anyone's guess as to the quality the lens has to offer.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Mahalo,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 2:58 PM   #5

Thanks! I understand and fully appreciate your point. I can relate it to rifle scopes and how Ireluctantlyswitched frommy fixed, 6x scope to a zoom model at the strong advice from a pro guide who would be leading a trip I went on a few years back. The fixed scopeswere always my first choice. When I made the move to a mutli-mag scope I kept the range to a minimum and went with a 2x-7x model versus thebig. multi-mag models. Keep it simple.

Not wanting to get way too far ahead of myself with respect to gear, I decided to go way to the lowendand learn how to make it work to it's best potential rather. I picked up a Promaster (Tamron) 70-300 f/3.5 -6.3 for a fraction of what either of the two Imentioned earlier cost. It will get me a bit farther out for those bball and softball games and force me to learn proper techniques while still being aperfectly good and fairly inexpensive lens.

Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 5:15 PM   #6

Here is POP Photos review.
Southswede1 is offline   Reply With Quote