Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 12, 2008, 5:41 AM   #11

Thanks for the input.
GatorKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 7:26 AM   #12

I have to put my 2 cents in here also. I had that lens kept it a year and sold it. Was too soft above 250mm for my liking other than that it was a good lens.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:13 PM   #13

guys one quick question, i'm fairly new to dlsrs too, and tbh i literally just made this account a minute ago.
but when you shoot sports pictures, is it best with auto focus or manual focus?

I can kind of pretty much get decent photos with 18-55mm lens on manual focus of someone playing football(soccer)
but i'm also trying to get a lens that's around 300mm.

i'm planning to buy the 70-300mm with IS

but then again, i kind of want the cheap ish version of 75-300m without IS

because from my understanding IS is best in autofocus? and liek i said i dont autofocus that much
carlofed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:47 AM   #14

Autofocus and image stabilization are unrelated.

Autofocus on moving subjects is where dSLRs shine. When using your 18-55 to shoot distant subjects, the short Hyperfocal Distance will get the subject within the Depth of Field, even with manual focus. When using a longer focal length, the depth of field is a lot more shallow and focus is more critical. In addition, when shooting sports, many prefer to isolate the subject(s) from the background by using a large aperture, getting a shallow DoF to blur the background.

Image stabilization is to correct for motion blur due to camera shake. The rule of thumb to avoid motion blur due to camera shake is to use a fast shutter speed. When shooting sports/action, you want to use a fast shutter speed anyway to avoid motion blur due to subject movement. When you do that, you also use a shutter speed that's fast enough to avoid motion blur due to camera shake. So when shooting sports, you really don't need image stabilization.

But, in general, the more expensive the lens, the better the optics and the higher the image quality you can expect. The Canon 70-300 IS USM and 55-250 IS USM, and the Tamron 70-300 Di VC (Tamron's version of IS) USD are very good, stabilized lenses. The less expensive, unstabilized Tamron 70-300 Di LD isn't as good, but it's better than anything else in it's price range. I suggest you not consider the 75-300 lenses from either Canon or Tamron, or anything from Sigma in this range.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:02 PM   #15

I have the IS or VC version of this lens. I like it a lot. Check it out:

Tamron AF 70-300mm f.4-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD

Here are some Egret pictures taken with this lens:

Egret in flight
Canon 5D MKII, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD, Sigma DG 150-500mm f/5.-6.3 APO HSM.
Canon EOS T3i, 7D and 70D EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, 430 EXII Flash.
Sony A200, SLT-A58 System with HVL-F42AM Flash.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.

Last edited by WCKSer; Jan 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM. Reason: Add link
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote