Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:57 PM   #1

I purchased a rebel XTi and the EFS 17-55 lens some time ago. I never used the flash until a few months ago and have been getting an annoying lens shaped shadow at the center bottom of a lot of the photos. I asked Canon about it and they are "looking into it" They claim that the rebel XTi and this lens should not be doing this. Has anyone else had this issue?
Thanks for your time.
CarsonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2008, 1:29 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Do you have a lens hood attached?

At wide angle with a lens hood you will definitely get shadows using the onboard flash.

It could also be your hand if you happen to hold your hand on the top of the lens in stead of the bottom.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:33 AM   #3

I didn't use a lens hood. I was just using the pop up flash. Cannon asked me to try it without a filter - that didn't change anyting - For the "test" photos I sent Canon I used a tipod with the timer so there was no shake and no fingers.

So this isn't a common problem with this combo?

Thanks foryour time.

Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 2:15 PM   #4

I believe with that combo an external flash is required to avoid the "shadow". If you have a camera store nearby, or have a friend with hot shoe mount flash give it a try.

See here for some examples used w/Xti and on board flash, scroll down to "Use with flash section" :http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/17-55mm.htm
yussi is offline   Reply With Quote