Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 15, 2008, 1:10 AM   #1

I'm looking at getting a Canon 40d camera. What I want to shoot: Action(mainly skiing and airshows but other events may come up), landscape, portraits, macro and occasional lowlight(4th of July fireworks, Christmas lights etc). Primary use will be action and landscapes, but am interested in experimenting with a variety of types of shooting.

Here is the purchasing plan I am thinking about:

Canon 40d with a EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens

EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 USM telephoto lens
For outdoor shots with this lens, is the f-stop ok when there is an overcast sky, or will it be too slow?

EF 20mm f/2.8 USM wide angle lens
Is a fixed wide angle good or should I get one that can adjust the zoom? Also, is 20mm ok for wide angle or should I try to go lower?

EF 50mm f/1.8 prime lens

The other option I am considering is to drop the kit lens and just get 40d body only and get a EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM wide angle lens.

Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2008, 2:36 PM   #2

Firstly, the 40D is available in some areas with the 17-85 as a kit. Look around on line. One example here: http://www.amazon.com/EOS-40D-DSLR-1.../dp/B000WCJTY4

Secondly, the 10-22 would be a terrific lens for your landscapes on the 40D.

Thirdly, for low light the 50 1.8 is fine, but a 30 1.4 is more of a normal focal length for the crop cams.

For the action shots, I haven't used the 75-300, but I suspect it would be a little slow.
yussi is offline   Reply With Quote