Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 7, 2003, 5:54 PM   #1
Default Vignetting with Digital Rebel and EF-S 18-55 lens?

Handheld with built-in flash, EF-S 18-55 lens at 18mm, F/3.5.

There is a UV filter on the lens, guess I should try taking it off and test if the vignetting is as noticable.

For you is the vignetting 'acceptable' or is it too annoying? I think it's a bit too strong and noticable for me in the top corners. Of course it depends on the picture content if it's really noticable, most pictures it's OK.

Update: Seems it might be flash fall-off. The built-in flash doesn't fill the wide angle, guess I should have used my 420EX and diffuser, but didn't want to take the time. I have a shot of the same scene at 38mm with the built-in flash that doesn't have nearly as much vignetting as this shot, so I think I got it figured out.
The Photo Tuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2003, 9:14 AM   #2

seems to me Vignetting is not an issue here since the camera will see most center part of the picture anyway (base on the 1.x of the chip). You may try with an external flash (ex 420ex or 550ex) with the flash difuser engaged to cover the wide angle or use the bounce flash feature.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote