Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:21 PM   #1

brand new to digital SLR, vaguely familiar with lens terminology in general. i've seen a lot of recommendations for the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Wondering what, from the photographer's perspective, the advantages of a fixed focal length lens are. in other words, when I buy my new XSi with the kit lens, is it worth the extra $90 to pick up the 50mm f/1.8 too? as of now, I'm planning on the XSi with 18-55 kit lens and 430EX flash, along with the requisite extra battery, etc. Anyone have other suggestions for gear to start out with? Used to shoot film years ago, have been on point and shoot digital for several years now, looking to get back into the SLR world. Thanks!
JakeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:33 AM   #2

My two cents:

Stay with the kit lens for a while and use it to familiarize yourself with the camera. Determine what type of photography you will mostly be involved in.

After this, you will have a better idea about what your next lens should be.

As to your question, the kit lens is a variable aperture lens - the lens opening changes as you change focal length. The 50mm fixed aperture is a nice lens for low light conditions and is a sharp lens. Good if you want to do portrait work. A bit too long for indoor (house) photos on the XSi because of the 1.6 crop factor.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote