Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1

I'm getting a 30D.I'm interested in taking indoor/natural light portraits of newborns. Is the 1.4 worth the extra money, or would the 1.8 give me comparable results? I want the picsbe very crisp, detailed, and with good background blur.

Would any other lenses be better? Which brand? Should I stay away from usedand refurbished?
lisamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2008, 4:33 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Working between the Canon 1.4 and 1.8 lenses I would ask what are you gaining by spending almost 4 x the money to get the 1.4. Well yes, it will work in lower light as it is brighter, yes you can use wider apertures, yes it is sharper at f1.8/f2 than the f1.8 is and it has a better AF system so these are good. Now for shooting babies, it is rare that you are going to be shooting at the extreme apertures anyway otherwise you are going to have a very narrow depth of field which can be just one of the 2 eyes in focus for example so probably you will be working at around f2.8 a lot of the time where all of a sudden there is less to justify the extra cost as both lenses are very sharp at this setting.

Take a look at http://pixel-peeper.com/lenses/canon/where you can see some of the results of shooters using different lenses. Now remember you don't know how skilled the photographer is and there is certainly some rubbish on there but it will give you a good idea.

I have the nifty fifty/plastic fantastic 50mm f1.8 mkII and it is a great little lens that actually I don't use enough and in honesty looking at the photos on Pixel Peeper I might just have to take it out for a play again. Usually it only comes out at weddings where there is not enough light and I can't use flash.

Hopefully that helps a little.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote