Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 29, 2008, 2:31 PM   #1

OK Canon Gurus, here is my problem. Several years ago after researching and reading obsessively on this forum, I bought a 28-135 IS lens. I loved the lens until I got a 70-200 2.8 Non-IS lens. That thing is so sharp and crisp and fast that I don't like my 18-55 kit or my 28-135 lens anymore. The quality of the pics seems so inferior on the L lens.

I shoot a mixture of indoor, outdoor, and sports. It is all of my kids, nothing artsy or professional. Since my kids are rarely still, IS is not the most important feature.

the 28-135 is not wide enough for some shots, and the 18-55 is the kit lens that came with my Digital Rebel (the original) and is rather dull (that is if dull is the opposite of sharp).

My only experience with Sigma was in comparing the Sigma 70-200 with the Canon. Canon seemed to focus much faster, and had a better "feel" as well.

24-70L is on the pricey side, not quite as much zoom as I would like.
24-105L 4.0 is also pricey, and was hoping for 2.8 rather than 4.0.

Is there a lens that could replace both lenses that won't break the bank? I would like to be in the $500-$600 range, but am as concerned with quality as much as price.

Thank you for the advice. Any direction you can point me is appreciated. My wife thanks you as well, but only if you can keep from over searching and obsessing on this.

DJPtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2008, 4:28 PM   #2

The short answer is - no. There isn't a single lens that will replace both and have the quality you want. 24-105 is the closest thing. Anything wider but still L quality cuts out around 35-55mm. That's the rub. The pro quality lenses are so good because they don't try to do too much. On top of that - if you want 2.8 you're really in trouble. Then you're looking at something like 16-35 2.8, 24-70 2.8 70-200 2.8. No other combo will give you the sharpness AND FOCUS SPEED of canon L. Some third party lenses are pretty sharp but they don't have the focus performance the Ls do.

In reality though, before my mkIII there wasn't much use for a medium zoom 2.8. 2.8 didn't give me fast enough shutter speeds for in-house low light. Certainly didn't give me fast enough shutter speeds below ISO 3200 in the dozen or so gyms I've shot in. So for me there wasn't much of a point in getting a 24-70 2.8. If I was shooting in pro venues it would be OK. But for HS and below, 2.8 below 3200 is just too slow (my average settings are about ISO 1600 f2.0 1/400 give or take 1/3 stop).

So what do you really think you will be shooting that something less than 70mm and 2.8 will be useful for?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 10:19 PM   #3

Good point about the brightness and Venue. 2.8 may not be needed in most situations. The only thing that I would use it for on a regular basis would be the kids program at my church. The stage lighting is way too dim for 3.5 and up, and the 70mm is away too tight.

Overall, I guess the 24-105L 4.0 might be the best bet, but more than I wanted to spend.

Then maybe an 85mm 1.8 for some the low light events. It is not L, but is also not $1500. Do you have any suggestions other than Canon if I am going to step down from L quality?

DJPtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:20 AM   #4

I have some great shots with the 85mm 1.8 prime it one of my favorite lenses.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote