Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 18, 2003, 10:00 PM   #1
Default Advice on Canon lens family -- system from scratch

I've decided on a digital camera body -- the Canon EOS 300D (Digital Rebel)

I have no existing Canon lenses. They have a basic consumer lens for $100 in the camera kit but I think I'm going to skip that.

My desire is to begin to work toward a set of lenses for the occasional professional gig. In addition I want to take sports shots of my kids, but I don't have the same "professional" need there.

I want to be able to get low light shots (as in a Church).

I'm thinking of 3 lenses. A professional grade wide zoom, a professional grade prime and a consomer grade tele-zoom. I'd like advice on specific lense options as well as on my overall "theory".

For the wide tele -- I'm considering the following 2 choices:

Canon 24-70 F/2.8 L $1350
Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 EX DF $400

Obviously there is a big price difference, but the same speed and range. Not sure what I'd be compromising by selecting the Sigma. As I'm shooting with a 1.6 crop digital camera, I stuck with the 24mm wide options and did not consider lenses starting at 28. Should I reconsider?

For the prime:

Canon 50mm F/1.8 $80

I'm assuming this can be used for portraits as well as "party shots". Should I consider a 35mm prime instead?

I'm really stuck on the tele zoom. I'm not even sure what my parameters should be. I'm not looking for an "evening" lens at this point. Just something that can shoot good shots of kids playing soccer or softball etc. Something shot most of the time hand held. Somthing that is not terribly expensive of heavy.

Obviously I'm not looking for a pro lens in this category at this time.

leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2003, 1:28 AM   #2

First of all, do get the lens that comes with the rebel kit. It is really good (from what I've seen and read). Certainly for $100 it is a no brainer.

Second, 24mm is not really wide. I have the 17-40L ("pro lens") and that translates to a 28-64 on a full frame. I still think 17mm is not wide enough on my 10D (same crop factor as the 300D).

The 50mm/1.8 is a great portrait lens.

For a decent zoom, you can consider the Sigma 70-200 EX F2.8, or the Canon 70-200 (comes in F2.8, F4 and F2.8 + IS versions). Don't go with the 75-300, it is not really good, especially if you get such good glas in the other ranges.

Good luck!

barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 7:58 AM   #3

I second Barthold. I bet if Canon charges the kit lens $500 along the line of the E1's 14-54mm, then everyone will take it more seriously (just a joke OK!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 7:12 AM   #4

I would also recommend getting the kit lens. If nothing else, it will give you an appreciation for better lenses. Since it covers lots of the wide end, I would hold off on buying another lens in this range, try it, who knows?

I like the idea of a fast prime. One of the 50's is great but a warning, its often too long for indoor household use. You will get head shots, some full body but not good for group shots. But they are relatively cheap so buy one, but also consider a shorter prime. Use the kit lens to guage which size, candidates are 20, 24, 28 or 35.

No question, the tele zoom you want is the 70-200L 4.0. Its wonderful but the 4.0 can be a limitation in overcast or indoors. If you want 2.8, many like the Sigma version in the same price range, but much heavier.

After you cover this range, come back to the really wide. If you want a zoom, they can be costly, especially if you want fast. Even the 17-40L 4.0 is pricey.
sportster is offline   Reply With Quote