Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:15 AM   #1

I want to buy a 24-105mm f/4 but a friend of mine who's got one says that he regularly has dust issues with this lens

Anyone else agrees :?, maybe he just got a bad sample :sad:

I just went through about 400 reviews on this site

No dust issue :roll:
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2008, 1:50 PM   #2

Guess it depends on what environment you use it in. It isn't weather sealed so compared to a weather sealed lens it could have more of a problem. And the barel telescopes out as you zoom so there is more chance for dust. But I've had one for the last year or so and haven't noticed a single problem with dust. Really outstanding lens. It's my walk-around lenson the mkIII
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:09 AM   #3
Super Moderator

No problems here either.

Dust inside a lens, unless it goes to incredible extremes, is fine anyway - doesn't affect image quality to any appreciable extent.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:40 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Mine is currently with me on it's 3rd trip to Egypt where there is a little dust it must be said and I've not had an issue. This is my every day lens on the 5D but even is being used as walk around while here in Egypt on a 30D (wide angle is not really wide but I have a P&S with a 28mm equiv if I need to a little wider). It is a lovely sharp lens and would happily recommend it to anyone looking for good range and sharpness.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote