Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:50 PM   #1

Are four stops worth almost twice the cost? Non is version is $565. Is version is $949. Much as I want the Is version for my 30D, it does make you wonder if it's worth the difference.
bestofdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:45 PM   #2
Super Moderator

It really is a matter of what you are shooting.

Let's take a similar example using one of the other mods and myself. JohnG is a very solid sports shooter so when going to a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 he opted for the non IS version as the IS wouldn't help him capture the action but with the 2.8 the non IS is a littler sharper so that was the win.

For me when looking at the same lens I went for the IS version as I shoot weddings as well as sports so the ability to shoot non moving subjects in low light without flash is a huge help.

So you are in the same boat really (although I can't comment on sharpness on either f4 option) is IS going to help you out, what sort of shooting will you do?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:05 PM   #3

Might be worth considering a 70-200mm F/2.8 Canon, Sigma or Tamron lens.

I don't think I'd pay nearly $1,000 for an F/4 image stabilized lens.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:51 PM   #4

This is an oft discussed subject on other forums. The f4 vs f4 IS is a bit different animal as the IS version is quite a bit sharper than the non-IS version. Unlike the 2.8 lenses where the non-IS is slightly sharper. The f4 IS is sharper than any of the 2.8 lenses as well. Which makes it a tough call to go 2.8. As with everything else, it's a trade-off. What feature is really the most important to YOU? The non-IS is certainly no slouch. The others have spoken about the aspects of IS vs. non-IS.

I will say this - there are always a lot of 70-200 f4 lenses for sale used. It's a great lens, so why do you think so many are for sale? The reason being people sell it to buy either a 2.8 because they need the faster shutter speed or the f4 IS to get the better sharpness and IS. Not saying DONT buy the f4 non-IS just giving you some food for thought.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:13 PM   #5

Using this as an all around lens, I do want the IS. I would also like to have a 2.8 lens, but I just don't want that much bulk to carry around. I think that f4 will work as a portrait lens, so Im thinking I should bite the bullet and pay for the IS or I'll regret it later. Thanks for your comments.

bestofdean is offline   Reply With Quote