Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 29, 2008, 4:14 PM   #1

I am looking for a lense for my canon Xti that is a good all purpose lense (I don't want to be changing lenses all the time). For Christmas I received the Tamron 18-250 mm lense but since reading up about it I am wondering if it makes sence to pay a little bit more money and purchase the Tamron 18-270mm lense with anti-shock or if maybe there is a completely different lense I should be looking into. I would love to know your opinion!!!
Koopage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:41 AM   #2

Actually, the Tamron AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF)contains optical image stabilization, which is 'Anti-Shake', not 'Anti-Shock'.

And to be clear, an all-in-one superzoom lens is more expensive and produces images of lower quality that multiple lenses with less ambitious zoom ranges. But you'd have to change lenses.

But with that said, the Tamron 18-250 is generally accepted as the finest lens of it's kind, but the 18-270 appears to also be quite good, and benefits from the optical image stabilization.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:18 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Just moved this to the Canon lens section for you.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:34 PM   #4

It depends on what sort of photography you do generally.

For instance, if your doing mainly candid people photos, a wide angle lens is really nice to have.

Something like a Sigma 17-70 or a Canon 17-85 IS are nice "walk around" lenses.

If you want to be able to take both wide angle and extreme telephoto with one lens, you'll wear a minor performance penalty. If your not really picky about your photos then not a problem.

I only mount a telephoto (I have the Canon 70-200 F/4) when I know I'm in for some "telephoto action".

Other than that, the two lenses I use the most are my Sigma 10-20 (love it) and my Sigma 17-70 (great lens).
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:14 AM   #5

Well i have the Tamron 18-270 VC and it is a great all in one with sharp photos, but i also have the Tamron 17-50 and the Sigma 30 1.4, and 95% of the time the 18-270 is on my 450D
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:34 PM   #6

There is the new Sigma 18-125 with OS. Nice and light and easy on the pocket.

Takes good photos as well.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote