Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:38 PM   #1

I've pretty much decided to purchase a Cannon XSI. With the wide selection of lenses I was wondering which would give me the best bang for the buck. Would I be better off getting a 55-250 IS lens now as opposed to the 18-55 that comes with the camera. I'd like one that gives me the most versatility. Any suggestions?
peter4414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:08 PM   #2

One of the advantages of a dSLR is that you can use exactly the lens that best suits what you're trying to do. The 55-250 IS is good for some things, but the 18-55 IS is better for others.

What do you want to take photos of?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:23 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's.

I've just dropped this into the Canon Lens section so our Canon users can give some input on your lens options.

TCav is right they both have different uses. Generally if you can only afford one lens then the 18-55 is the way to go, but as a combo the two would give good coverage for a lot of shooting conditions. That coupled to the great quality of the XSi and you would have a great package.

Happy shooting when you get your new camera and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the shots you get.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the help. I think I'll purchase both lenses. Do you agree I should get the IS in both the 18-55 & 55-250? Should I upgrade the lens for better quality or is the standard lens sufficient? Thanks again.
peter4414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:57 AM   #5

The newer 18-55 IS is much better optically than it's predecesor. So it's absolutely worth the price increase. The IS version is the standard kit lens being sold on the XSi now though. As for the 55-250 I don't think there are 2 versions of the lens.

Again, whether or not these lenses are good choices depends entirely on what you want to photograph and what level of quality you want. This combination is a very good consumer grade combo. A lot of bang for the buck. But neither is going to be good for activities like sports and wildlife. And, of course, if you're doing a lot of indoor work neither is particularly good at that - you either want an external flash or a lens with a wider aperture. So, again, the right lens depends on what the job is. No single lens or 2 lens combination will allow you to shoot everything.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote