Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 2, 2009, 8:12 PM   #1

I will primarily be shooting motocross and indoor supercross along with family vacations and events. I am leaning towards the sigma and use the savings for another lens. Does anyone have any experience with both lenses and could guide me which way to go.
madday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2009, 5:13 AM   #2

I had an older version of the Sigma that worked great. This was a pre-DG, pre-macro version. A couple years ago sigma added the 'macro' and by various accounts that messed up the quality. Sigma redesigned the lens last year. So, while my older version worked great I'd do some research if I were you to see what reports there are out there on the lens since it was recently redesigned.

I now use the Canon. I always stated my sigma was about 90% of the canon - the difference being the Canon was a bit sharper at 200mm and faster to focus in low light - by a little. So, if there are no reports of quality problems since the last redesign I think it's a very good alternative if you're doing this for fun and not profit.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 5:45 AM   #3

Thanks John. This just for my entertainment, I will research the new sigma
madday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:52 AM   #4

This is how the 'old' version fared:

-> The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 kind of sit between the EF 70-200 f/4 and the EF 70-200 f/2.8 in term of price and performance...

"The Competition

As of this writing in late November, 2006, we've tested only two other lenses having the same focal length range as this one, only one of which shared its f/2.8 maximum aperture. We can thus make only limited comparisons between this model and others on the market, but hope to flesh out our test data in this focal length range more in the future.

Against the Canon 70-200mm f/4L USM, the Sigma does pretty well, particularly starting at the f/4 aperture they both share. In other parameters, they compare pretty closely, and are pretty close in price as well, the Canon actually being a bit cheaper. Between the two, if you're on a Canon platform and don't need the f/2.8 speed of this Sigma, the Canon is a better deal. (If you do need the f/2.8 though, the Sigma delivers quite nicely, at only a modest increase in price.

Against the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR, the Sigma is outclassed at f/2.8 across most of the focal length range, pulling ahead just slightly at 200mm. Drop to f/4 though, and the tables are turned, the Sigma winning the sharpness derby handily. The Sigma also wins on vignetting and distortion, albeit by narrower margins. The main differences between these two lenses come in the Nikkor's VR (vibration reduction) technology, and dramatically higher price point. For handheld available-light photography, the Nikon's VR gives it a really sizable advantage, but if you can get by without VR, the Sigma will save you something on the order of $600 when comparing typical street prices.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:12 AM   #5

I am really happyowner of the 70-200mm F2.8 IS lens. Heres my first trackday shot, not too bad I think.

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:53 AM   #6

Great shot, maybe a little motion blur will make it excellent.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote