Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:51 PM   #1
Default Canon compatible lens: Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8

Anyone heard about the compatiblity of this particular Tamron lens with the Canon EOS 50D?

Let me know as I am about to purchase one...

acdoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:16 PM   #2

I've moved your thread to our Canon Lenses Forum, where you'll find discussion about lenses for Canon dSLR models.

The new Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 is a bit sharper at most focal lengths and apertures compared to the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 (the most popular budget 70-200mm f/2.8 model) from tests I've seen. So, from an optical quality perspective, the Tamron is a good bet. But, the Sigma is going to focus faster (the focus motor in the Tamron is not an SSM/USM type motor). So, if you need faster focus speed for sports, you may want to consider the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM instead (or Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L if budget permits).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:44 PM   #3

Thanks Jim, your statement confirms what I've found during my research. I'm looking at the Sigma and the Canon.
acdoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 6:18 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Out of the 3 options (Sigma, Canon IS and Canon non IS), it is the Canon non IS that comes out on top followed by the IS then the Sigma. I personally believe that it is well worth spending the extra to get the Canon if the budget is there, as for going as far as the IS only do so if you really need the stabilisation. I have the IS as I shoot weddings so wanting to be able to shoot non moving subjects in low light is common, if it hadn't been for this I would have the non IS version. I used to have the Sigma and there was a noticeable increase in quality with the Canon.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote