Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:03 PM   #1
Default Carl Zeiss

Hello, I recently purchased the Canon T1i. I am wondering which lenses are best suited for this camera. I was looking at some Carl Zeiss lenses, but am not sure. Any suggestions?
Deezasterpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:19 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new camera.

We have a dedicated Canon Lenses Forum for discussion about lenses for Canon dSLR models where you'll be more likely to get responses. So, I'll move this thread there for you now.

Carl Zeiss lenses are very good, and it looks like looks Carl Zeiss introduced Planar T* 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 ZE lenses in EF mount towards the end of last year. But, they're only available as Manual Focus lenses for Canon models right now, and may not be the best choice for the type of shooting you may want to do. I'd let members know more about what you want to shoot and the conditions you plan on shooting in more often for better answers.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:48 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Jim is correct, the only two Zeiss lenses currently in production for the EF mount are the 50mm f1.4 Planar and 85 f1.4. Both are manual focus, but they do automatic aperture control and give focus confirmation. Both are very nice, and of course with live view manual focus is now much easier than it used to be.

There are a bunch of other Zeiss lenses available in Nikon F mount and which can easily fit the EF mount but with an adapter. Adapters range from the cheap and nasty (but then why bother with Zeiss lenses?) to the good. The good ones go for around $150 but these do not give focus confirmation or automatic aperture control. Adapters are also available for the older Zeiss Contax-mount lenses, and Leica R, etc.

In general you will not be gaining much or even anything at all over spending an equivalent amount of money on a Canon lens though.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 5:41 AM   #4

IMO this is only worth it if your specialty is landscape:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 1:47 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Or if you love collecting odd lenses.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote