Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 30, 2009, 6:11 PM   #1
Default help with closeup lens

hi, i friend ask for help but i think here she will receive a better advice. she is an orthodonticsstudent and need a good closeup lens to take pic of her patients teeth. she has a xsi. whats a good closeup lens for around $300?
sponge_man69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:12 PM   #2

I don't do much close up work, so when the experienced photographers show up, listen to them.

On the other hand, I bought a 50mm 1.8F lens (nickname, the NIFTY FIFTY). Great little lens. Under $100 brand new. Then I bought a pack 3 upclose filters. Filter A is magnification of +1, B is +2 and C is +4. You can also stack them.

So I spend about $150 and got some decent, not great but decent up close magnification.

True macro lenses can get pricey very quickly, and since I don't do much of it, that the route I went.

Faithfully Yours,
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:58 PM   #3

You didn't specify what you have to work with now. The Canon EF-S 60mm macro might work for you. It's around $370--a bit over your budget.

If you have a more limited budget, I lean toward extension tubes over inexpensive closeup lenses. The highly respected Canon 500D closeup lens sells for around $100 or so in a 58mm diameter. Stacking closeup lenses is not generally a great idea. Besides the quality loss of multiple extra piecies of glass, you tend to get vignetting with stacked closeup lenses.

Extension tubes work well if you have a small budget, and even inexpensive Kenko tubes will work nicely--since there are no optics in extension tubes. A set of Kenko tubes 12-20-35 mm can be had for around $150 or so, and they can be stacked with virtually no degradation of image quality. Remember, though, the longer the focal length of your lens, the less effect on focus distance you get from the tubes.

Remember, in terms of image quality, your first choice is a dedicated macro lens, then (IMO) extension tubes, then closeup lenses. And you can combine these if necessary. Example, I use the Canon 500D closeup lens on the Canon 100mm macro lens. With extension tubes added, I can almost focus on dust on the front of the lens!

Hope this helped.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:21 PM   #4

See, I told you the smart people would get here sooner or later!!

Here's what I read when I made my decision:

I already owned the nifty fifty, and I went the cheaper route of the two.

Have a great weekend.

Last edited by FaithfulPastor; Jul 31, 2009 at 2:27 PM.
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 5:54 AM   #5

I'd go with the Canon 60mm Macro.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:46 PM   #6

another vote for 60mm and a flash, better a ring flash.
60mm can be used for many other things, not only for shooting close-ups and macro.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote