Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:33 AM   #1
Default Thinking of buying the 100-400

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying the 100-400 for its versatility over the 400 F5.6 which I will sell to finance it. Ive just upgraded to the 70-200 F4 IS and I'm selling my 70-200 F2.8 non IS because of the weight issues. I'm hoping to get the 100-400 as a lens I would only use periodically so its not like it would have to be particularly brilliant but I'm hoping it will be sharpish. Ive heard the newer models seem sharper and a much better lens than the older ones were. Does anyone know if canon updated something within the lens? Also anyone got this lens and can advise me on any cons of getting it
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Default 100-400 Canon

Hey ALF.....
I dont know if you have gotten this lens yet, changed your mind or still thinking about it, but I will give you a little of my impression of this lens...I got it about a year ago and for me its been the best lens and most used lens and the most fun lens I have... I have used it on my 20D, 50D and 5D with super results with all 3 cameras...The IS is really good...400mm is hard to hold because of the weight of the lens...It is a bit heavy but nothing more than a lens you have already...The sharpness is outstanding, the bokah is really nice...Push pull zoom wasn't a problem getting use to...Keeping the lock ring tight keeps the lens form drifting as some have complained about...Just an overall fun lens to have...I have tried my 1.4 converter with it and had a bit of a problem with the focus ...Seems to "seek" to find focus on far away objects...May be a lens problem but its probably more me...I just switch to manual and deal with it that way...I don't think you would regret the change if your still considering it...
Good luck...
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:01 PM   #3

I've had this lens for 2 years, used on my 5d & 5d mark ii. I've been very pleased with all my images, no problems with sharpness. Have used both the 1.4 & 2 extenders, manual focus, with good results. Especially good for landscape and wildlife where its impossible to get close to something.
deserthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4

If versatility is your main reason for switching to this lens, I don't think you will regret it. http://www.birdsasart.com/b13.html
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 8:10 PM   #5

Thanks all, just an update I did get the 100-400 L IS and it was after pondering all the differing points of view on it. My copy is sharp and I find the push pull very easy to deal with.

my first shots taken with it can be seen here

Im quite pleased with it
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote