Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 10, 2003, 12:42 AM   #1
Default Sigma 28-300 Macro.

Is it good enough to be my Digital Rebel's main lens?
I usualy take my photos indoors (kids, family) and outdoors (people, landscapes etc).

Please advise.
Eitan Yurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:41 AM   #2

It's not as good as many other lenses quality wise, there are a lot of sacrifices made to get such a large zoom range.

Unless you're planning on taking a lot of wildlife shots, you probably don't need such a long (300mm) lens. You'll find that at full zoom (the equivalent of 510 mm) the lens will be hard to use off a tripod. With a maximum aperature of only 6.3 it will have to be pretty bright for you to handhold the camera and still have a 1/500s shutter speed. Unless you can keep the shutter speed up you're photos will be unusable due to camera shake.

Remember - the digital Rebel has a 1.7X magnification factor already - to get an equivalent 300mm focal length you only need a ~180mm lens.

I'd get the kit with the 18-55mm lens - it is pretty good for the price and you'll get reasonable wide angle capabilities.

A good all around lens is something in the range of 28 to 105, pretty good zoom capabilities at the long end and you can get a lens with a faster aperature for the same (or better) price than the all - in - one. Add on a 50 f1.8 and you'd have a nice three lens package.

The other downside of the one lens concept is that if you're somewhere and the lens breaks you're hooped. Of course you'll never miss a shot because you were changing lenses with only one lens.

The 70-200mm 2.8 lenses are quite nice but may be out of your price range.

Something to consider is that shooting digital will allow you to crop images tighter if the shot was taken at too wide a setting.

The question I'm asking is why you only want only one lens? Is it a function of portability? cost? ???
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 5:18 PM   #3

Thanks so much for the answer.

I did get the Rebel with the Kit lens which I find great except for the zoom that I am missing.
I am looking for a one lens for portability reasons.

Thanks for the advise.
Eitan Yurman is offline   Reply With Quote