Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:58 AM   #1
Default Is Canon EF 28-135mm worth buying?

Hello friends!

I am new in photography and love to do potraits. I have a Canon 1000D with a 18-55mm (Non-IS) kit lens. I am planning to buy a lens (with IS) that can help me with my potraiture work and my budget is about $300-$400 at the max.

The lens that I was recommended earlier was a Canon 50MM 1.8f Prime. After a little more survey, I found one more lens that suited me. Its the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens. I understand that both have a big price difference but I still am confused as to which one should I go for or is there some thing else better than these.

So please recommend me a good lens and also weather Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is a worthy buy.

Thank you.
go4saket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:17 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Is the 28-135 a worthy buy, yes. I find its on my camera more often than not. Its a great walkaround lens for general/candid photography. And when paired with an ultra-wide in your bag, you can do a heck of alot with 2 lenses.

That said, it is not the greatest portrait lens in the world. You will want something faster to give you a nice background blur.

A few suggestions

50 1.8 - cheap, sharp, great portrait lens on a 1.6x crop. did i mention cheap.
60 2.8 macro - i love this lens for portraits, super-SHARP, and you get a 1:1 macro as well, for a decent price.
the various 24-70ish 2.8 zooms from canon,sigma,tamron are all good choices too.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote