Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:31 PM   #1
Default Need lens suggestion

I am looking for a new lens for my Canon Digital XTI. My daughter does competitive cheer so I am looking for a lens that will give me good shots there. Usually the stage is lit up with a lot of very bright lights so maybe I don't need to worry too much about lighting? I obviously need to be able to take good action shots while they are moving too. I currently have a Tamron 80-210 4.5/5.6 and the kit lens that came with my camera, not sure if that is how to describe it right. I can get pretty decent shots with my tamron, but I sometimes have problems getting the whole team on the floor because it doesn't zoom out enough. I also usually have to switch back and forth between lenses before the competition so I can get group shots or whatever before they go on or afterwards for awards. So I would like one lens that can cover all of this.

I started looking at the 18-200 or 28-200 lenses and i think that is what would work best for me, but there are so many out there i really have no idea which one to choose, which brand, etc. I've been trying to read reviews and so many say they are slow focus which isn't going to work well. I don't want to spend a ton, maybe around $300? Am I going to be able to get something decent for that? Or do I need to keep saving and use what I have? I'm getting more confused the more I read.

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions you can give.

katstat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:18 PM   #2

I suggest that you move further back and get a faster lens. The Canon 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM is a great lens and the constant f/4.0 aperture lets you get the same shutter speed with the same ISO setting regardless of the focal length.

The superzoom lenses aren't very good. They have a lot of distortion at the wide end, a lot of chromatic aberration at the long end, and aren't very sharp anywhere in their zoom range. And they have small maximum apertures at the long end of their zoom range.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote