Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 16, 2003, 7:25 PM   #1
Default Canon EF Ultrasonic 75-300mm f4.0-5.6 II

I am thinking of purchasing this lens and I'm new to the tele market. Is this a good lens for around 150US? used(minor cosmetic damage but perfect glass)?

Also can anyone explain to me the differences in Canon's lens grades..ie the II III or IV usm lens'?
Livebait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2003, 9:24 PM   #2

can anyone explain to me the differences in Canon's lens grades..ie the II III or IV usm lens'?
I don't believe this has anything to do with grade, but rather their revision... A II means that this lens has been revised a second time instead of their original series, if any, the lens is improved in term of manufacturing efficiency and material (ie liberal use of plastic) and the resulting cost saving is passed on to the consumers... IMO there's no IV rev. yet but I could be wrong.

USM stand for Ultrasonic Motor, but again there's several versions: the ring type is the fastest and quietest AF with full manual overide, usually on large aperture lenses, down to the micro USM used in more compact lenses. Non-USM lenses use a regular motor with their slower and noisier gear train...

The letter L is different. Theses lenses are designed for the pro with the highest optical quality and is denoted by a red ring around the front barrel. They usually cost more than the normal lenses since they are made out of metal (some larger lenses are finished in white for heat rejection) and sealed against the elements!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote